I’m an idiot. I’ve blown 8,000 words. As I cut SEDUCED from 118K to 110, I’m horrified by the waste.
All those turnings and glancings and gazings and ings in general. My word footprint is absolutely gluttonous. If my words were emissions, I’d be a stretch Hummer. Al Gore is coming for me next. I’ll have to foster polar bears in my bathtub to ease my conscience.
How do I shut myself up? It’s clear from this blog I love the sound of my own words.
- Focus focus focus. What are you trying to say? Say only that.
- Trust. The reader will get it without the 2×6. A 2×4 is good enough.
- Simplify. Why use one adjective when six will do… No, no. Use ONE adjective and save the other five for later.
- Don’t be clever. It takes too long to pat yourself on the back.
- Switch from daily word goals to scene goals. (Who, me pad? Nah. See rule 3.)
Do you write long? How do you stop yourself? How do you pace yourself? How many adjectives have you used to describe the hero’s pectorals?