(Crossposted from Silk And Shadows)
Currently working on: A mental breakdown
I didn’t get as much writing done last night as I wanted to. I blame summer. Actually, I blame the cucumber-basil martinis, but those are definitely a taste of summer.
- Pour crushed ice into a martini glass. Set aside to chill.
- Mix a teaspoon of sugar and a teaspoon of hot water into a syrup.
- Chop a chunk of cucumber (about 3 inches, peeled and seed-free) into small cubes
- In a shaker, crush the cucumber together with 2-3 torn basil leaves along with the syrup.
- Add vodka, a tablespoon of fresh lime juice, and ice.
- Shake well.
- Empty the ice from the chilled martini glass. Garnish with a rim of sugar and a cucumber slice.
- Strain the cuke-basil mixture into your glass. Eat the cucumber slice and count it as a serving of vegetables.
- Relax and savor summer.
Because it’s almost gone!!! A few days ago, I overheard the phrase “late summer” referring to where we are in the calendar.
Late summer?! But I don’t even have a tan yet. Well, okay, I don’t tan, but I haven’t converted my full year’s supply of Vitamin D from sunlight. Late summer? Noooooo!
Long days, warm nights, gardening, hiking, camping, lazing… All play havoc with my writing schedule. If August is late summer in the Pacific Northwest, then July is the only summer we have. Winter is November through May. June we just ignore because it’s too embarrassing. (I won’t go into September/October; those are a well-kept secret ’round here.)
Knowing the pleasures of summer are so fleeting makes indulging in them seem almost… necessary. I eat too many blueberries. I walk barefoot until my feet are permanently filthy. I stay up too late and get up too early because the sun is out there and it’s calling my name. Those are good memories to conjure against a dark and stormy Oregon afternoon.
Although I have to admit, I’m sort of looking forward to autumn this year. Not only does my first book come out, but I’ll be working on Books 3 and 4 of the Marked Souls which sold last week to NAL Signet Eclipse! Hence the breakdown mentioned in the status update above. And now I think about it, that might also explain the martinis
What’s your definitive taste of summer? It doesn’t have to be an actual taste. Smells and sounds are good too. In fact, anything sensual will do just fine.